Remember not to inhale the spray as it is highly toxic, which you will notice from the reaction of the cockroach to the contact with the product. A bug sprayed with the toxic chemicals stops moving within a minute as its nervous system gets damaged instantly. Once you use the spray, ventilate the room and don’t enter it for at least 15 minutes to protect your lungs and throat from the toxins.
If your household is badly infested and you want a quick solution, the best way to get rid of water bugs might be to hire a professional exterminator. Use it as the last resource, however, and give the natural home remedies a chance first.
Remember that using a professional service usually means preparing the house accordingly, which means emptying the bathrooms and all the cupboards in the kitchen.
After the whole place gets sprayed with harsh chemicals, you won’t be able to be inside of the house for a few hours and it’s better for children and pets not to sleep inside a disinfected room for at least 24 hours after it was sprayed.
Step 3 – Protect Your House Against Water Bugs
Once you get rid of the water bugs, you should take some simple steps and introduce small changes in your lifestyle that will stop the bugs from coming back.
- Whenever you spill something, wipe it off immediately to avoid leaving any moist surfaces as they attract water bugs.
- Clean the floors in the whole house with an antibacterial detergent twice a week. Also, make sure that no crumbs or other remains of food are left on the floor in the dining area. They attract both cockroaches and ants.
- Never leave the dishes in the sink for the next day. If you use a dishwasher, rinse the dishes as you go and leave them inside overnight so that water bugs have no access to them and are not attracted with the food left on their surface.
- Keep the bathrooms well ventilated and wipe the floor regularly so that there is no excess moisture left. Wet areas are the favourite places of water bugs.
- Check for cracks in pipes, walls, cabinets, window and door frames etc. to make sure that cockroaches don’t use them as access ways to get into your house. Use a sealant to close any potential holes and cracks.
- The more plants you have in your garden, on the balconies or the window sills, the more probable is that the place will attract some bugs. Make sure you use some natural repellents and spray them on or around the trees, flowers and bushes in your garden regularly.