How many times have you dreamed about fair and flawless skin? Many people all over the world try to get their skin lighter, brighter and healthier-looking. In many situations our face is responsible for our first impression. We want to look good, cause then we also feel better.
If you learn how to care for your skin properly it will help your skin stay light, tight and beauty for a long time. Your skin can get dark and dull just because of overexposure to the sunlight; because of environmental pollution, stress, poor lifestyle choices as well. Also your health condition and prolonged usage of chemical-based cosmetic products have a negative effect on your skin.
In shops you can buy plenty of special skin-lightening and whitening creams or lotions. However such specific chemical products have a harmful effect that can even damage your skin, besides that they are often very expensive. Fortunately you can save some money and time by using natural remedies that will bright your skin in a natural and harmless way. Would you like to try?
What You Can Do To Lighten Your Skin?
Caring For Your Skin Daily
Limit the exposure of your skin to sunlight
Sun exposition can be very dangerous to your skin. It can generate freckles, unattractive brown spots (known as hyper pigmentation) or serious sunburns. In extreme situation it can lead to skin cancer. All of that is a sign of sun damage. If you want to have bright skin you have to take care for it properly by using high Sun Protect Factor (SPF) sunscreens. Probably the best way to protect your skin against bad UVA and UVB light radiation is to use sunscreens every day, even when it`s not so sunny or hot outside.
To keep your skin light, you can also protect it by wearing long-sleeved clothing. Don`t forget to put your hat and sunglasses on while exposure to the sun for a long time.
Clean and exfoliate your skin regularly
Taking care of your skin regularly helps to keep it fresh, moisture and light. Dark spots can be lightened by regular removal of the surface layers of the damaged skin. Remember to clean your face twice a day, once in the morning and once before sleep. Cleaning will remove dirt and pollutions that is important for a healthy-looking skin. Exfoliate it few times per week. It will remove the darker, dead and damaged skin cells and make your skin look clean and light. You can exfoliate your face by using special cosmetics with small particles or massage it with a fresh, damp washcloth.
Drink more water and eat healthy food
This is easy and extremely important to keep your skin in good conditions. Eating well and drinking much more water can surprise you with a healthier-looking skin. Your skin will start to look younger, it will rejuvenate itself. Then the old, darker layers will go away and leave your skin looking fresh, brighter and of course healthier. When you drink six to eight glasses of water per day that will speed up process of rejuvenate. Furthermore eating well will provide the vitamins and nutrients that are necessary to keep good skin condition.
You need to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those high in a vitamins A, C and E, drink a lot of fresh water or freshly squeezed juices and try to stay away from highly processed, unhealthy foods. It can be worth to start taking some vitamin supplements that contain Omega-3 acids which have been proven to have a beneficial effect for a skin, hair and nails condition.
This is not surprise that smoking is bad for your health. But have you ever heard that it can damage not only your body but also beauty of your skin? Smoking leads to fast aging; it makes fine lines and wrinkles. It can also prevent proper blood flow to the face, what will make your skin grey-looking.
Using Scientifically-Proven Lightening Products
Skin lightening creams
If you look around the market is full of skin-lightening creams and lotions. All of them work by reducing melanin (that is pigment responsible for sun spots and tanning) in the skin. Such products can contain skin-lightening ingredients that have been proven to be effective. This is kojic acid, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxyl acids, vitamin C and arbutin.
Do not worry to use these cosmetic products, they are safe, but remember to stop using it when some irritation will appear. One more thing is to not use skin creams with mercury as an ingredient, it is banned in US, but can be still available in many other parts of the world.
Retinoid creams are really working. It can effectively lighten your skin. Retinoid creams are made from a special form of vitamin A. It works through great skin exfoliating and speeding up cell turnover. Such creams are also fantastic help in smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles, thus making skin looks bright and young. Retinoid creams in a high concentration can also be used in an acne treatment. However such creams can be responsible for dryness and redness, especially at the beginning of using retinoid creams. Later on skin gets used to the product so these symptoms should pass away.
Be careful while using retinoids as it make your skin highly sensitive to sunlight, that is why it is recommended to use retinoid creams at night and cloudy days (preferably during autumn and winter). If you are interested to start retinoids treatment you should discuss it with a dermatologist as it is available with a prescription. In standard shops you can find a weaker version of retinoid, known as retinol, which is commonly available.
Chemical peels are very powerful at skin lightening. With such peel an acidic component is applied to the skin and left for few minutes. Most of the time alpha hydroxy acid is used. It works by burning away top layers of skin, leaving skin fresher and much brighter after all. Such skin treatment is rather harsh, so it usually causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation on the skin. It can be also red or even swollen for some time after cure.
Usually it is recommended to do series of chemical peels for a successful therapy. During this time you need to remember to avoid sunlight and use sunscreen. Your skin after chemical peel is extra sensitive.
If for some reason you are not able to do chemical peels or use skin-lightening creams there is a good alternative for you. Microdermabrasion is a safe method for exfoliating skin, removing dull, make your skin look brighter, fresher and younger. During the treatment, dead skin cells are removed into a closed vacuum with a rotating diamond tip applied to the face. It takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, however it is good to get 6 to 12 treatments to achieve good enough results. As with chemical peel after microdermabrasion you can experience some little redness or skin dryness just after the treatment.
Using Skin Whitening Home Remedies
Although the home remedies are not scientifically verified for having a skin-lightening effect, there are many hints that homemade mixtures can be also effective in skin whitening. Besides it these methods are extremely cheap as most of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen. So why not to try? Here you are just few of the most popular ingredients known for their natural bleaching results.
The citric acid from lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. Besides it, the high amount of vitamin C in lemons promotes new cell growth. Furthermore lemons are full of antioxidants that help keep skin in a healthy condition.
When using lemon be carefully. You can prepare lightening mixture from lemons:
- You can simply soak a cotton ball or tissue in a freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply directly on your face. The best is to leave juice on your face for around hour, after that wash your face with water. Can be done once a day. Such simply treatment will for sure make your skin lighter.
- You can also prepare mixture of three teaspoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of turmeric powder, then apply it on your face, leave for half an hour. Need to be washed with water and do not repeat it more often than once per day.
- It can be also mixed together one teaspoon of lemon, powdered milk and honey. Apply directly on your skin and keep for 15-20 minutes, after that wash it off with water, can be done even every day.
Remember while using remedies with lemon juice it is acidic and can cause pain when apply on open wounds. So it is also not suitable for sensitive or allergic skin.
Yoghurt has many nutrients that are proper for your skin. It contains lactic acid that can be used for skin-lightening, as it has some bleaching properties.
- You can use yoghurt directly on your skin, just leave it for a few minutes and then wash it off with water. You can repeat it once a day for few weeks to see a positive effect on your skin condition.
- You can mix one tablespoon of yoghurt with one-half tablespoon of honey. Can be applied on your face and neck, after 15 minutes just wash it off with water. You can repeat it once a day.
- You can also use yoghurt as a face mask together with lemon juice and some oatmeal. It will also nicely moisturize and supply your skin.
Oranges are full of vitamin C that has been shown to be an important ingredient in skin care. There are two different ways to use oranges for lightening of your skin:
- Prepare mixture of two tablespoons of orange juice and a bit of powdered turmeric. Put it on your face and neck overnight. It can be also applied on your hands or even legs. Can be used each day.
- Make a powder of a dried orange peel, than mix one tablespoon of the powdered peels together with one tablespoon of yoghurt and make a paste. That can be applied on your skin for maximum 20 minutes, later rinse off with water. Should be used once or twice per week.
Gram flour (besan)
It is one of the best components that can be used by people who want to lighten their skin. It has many different nutrients that can easily improve your skin health and condition.
- Prepare mixture of some gram flour together with a bit of water to make a thick paste, apply it on your skin (face, hands and legs). When the paste will dried, wash it off with warm water.
- Blend gram flour with a small amount of turmeric powder together with olive oil. Apply mixture on your face, rinse off after around 20 minutes.
Honey is mainly known as a moisturizing agent in skin therapy, it has also antibacterial properties so can help for acne skin. Dry skin is often connected with uneven skin tone. Honey has been found to help bleach skin as well.
- You can simply apply pure honey to your face for a few minutes alone. It will help remove all dead skin cells; your skin will appear lighter. Repeat it once per day.
- If you want to obtain special skin-lightening mask, mix one teaspoon of honey and lemon juice, add one tablespoon of powdered milk and one-half teaspoon of almond oil. Mix and apply on your skin. After 10-15 minutes it can be wash off with rather cold water. Repeat up to three times per week.
Aloe Vera gel
Hyperpigmentation is a result of uneven skin color and tone. Aloe vera can reduce hyperpigmentation and help you to restore original color of your skin. Aloe vera also moisturizes skin very well, thus helps skin rejuvenation. Such simple remedy from aloe vera gel can lighten dark spots and improve your whole skin condition.
First cut the outer layer of an aloe vera leaf, then squeeze out jelly-like interior, apply the gel carefully on your skin, let it stay on it for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with water. You can do it even twice per day for a two week period. Aloe vera gel can be also found in many stores.
Papaya is a widely used in a many treatments, it can also be used to make your skin lighter and brighten. It is known to contain natural bleaching features. Using it can make your skin to become fresh-looking and healthy glow.
- The best way to enjoy power of papaya is simply eat it as a fruit.
- It can be applied on your face as well. Just put a inner part of papaya`s skin on your face, leave it for some time to let it dry, to get the best results you can repeat such treatment each day.
Turmeric is another magic compound that can be used in a multiply way to improve your skin conditions. It is also very healthy to add turmeric regularly into your foods.
- Prepare heavy paste by mixing turmeric powder and milk cream. Then apply such mixture on your face. Wait until it will dry and wash it off with warm water. Do it regularly to enhance your skin whitening.
- You can also simply mix two teaspoons of gram flour, one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of lemon juice. This can be used as a face mask. Keep it for around 25 minutes; later on rinse your face with fresh water.
Cucumber is known for an ages as a powerful vegetable that have a great impact on your skin condition. It has been found that cucumber binds collagen in your skin and improves elasticity of your skin. Your face after using cucumber will look fresher and younger just at once.
- You can treat it directly on your face, just slide cucumber and place slices on a dark skin spots or areas that need lightening treatment. Leave it for a short time, remove and wash your face with water. Can be done even twice per day.
- You can also prepare mask with grated cucumber and honey. It can be used on a dark spots on your face, hands, neck as well. After 15-20 minutes should be removed with cold water.
For the best result repeat twice per day.
- Another way is to mix one teaspoon of lemon juice and juice from cucumber. You can wash your face with such mixture or use as a mask, leave for around 20 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Doing it once a day should be enough.
Oatmeal’s are great to exfoliate the skin. This is also one of the best methods to make your skin look brighter. The best way to promote the growth of new skin cells is to get rid of dead skin cells. That will improve your skin tone for sure.
- You can prepare mixture of oatmeal together with tomato juice and simply apply on your face. That can be leaved on your skin for around 15-20 minutes, then wash it off with water. You can rub it a little to let the oatmeal gently scrub off the old skin cells. This can be repeated each day, because it is not too harsh method.
- One teaspoon of oatmeal powder can be alternatively mixed with a bit of turmeric and a few drops of lemon juice to get a thick paste. Such mask can be easily applied on your face. After it will dry, just wash it off with water. Once a day treatment is enough.
That may be surprise for you, but yes, milk is a good choice when you want to make your skin brighter. The same as yoghurt, milk contains a lactic acid that can gently reduce the skin pigmentation, so make your skin looks lighter.
- For the best results you can put a slice of a lemon in milk for about 20 minutes. Then spread milk solution on your skin and leave such mixture even overnight. Wash your skin with cold water just in the morning.
- The other way is to pour milk into a bowl, get some clean and soft cloth, soak it in milk and just lay down on your face. When it will dry out, soak it one more time, use few times if you wish to get your skin brighten. It is also safe to leave such compress overnight. Some difference in a skin will be visible already after few days, but few weeks treatment is recommended. For a better smoothing effect you can use goat milk or even butter milk.
Also raw potato has some mild bleaching properties. It is because of a high vitamin C concentration and as you know vitamin C is a powerful skin-lightening substance that is popular ingredient in many skin-whitening creams.
It can be used in a simply way, just cut a raw potato in half and spread over your face, especially on a dark spots and areas you wish to lighten. You can leave potato juice on your skin for around 20 minutes. This treatment can be repeated many times a week to get the best results. The same can be done with tomato or cucumber, as mentioned before. All of these foods are good source of vitamin C.
How to Lighten Skin Permanently
And what about permanent skin-lightening methods? If you think that skin-whitening creams are working too weak and you do not believe in natural methods or you don`t have enough time for trying homemade remedies, there are some alternatives that can be the best for you. However be aware that permanent skin lightening can be used only in a special situation as it is not so safe procedure.
There are several methods than can be used to make your skin lighter permanently, it is a laser method, specialist bleaching creams and use of chemical peels. None of these methods is absolutely safe, so when you think about lighten skin permanently you need to have a consultation with a certified dermatologist before making decision which method you want to try.
There is the only one chemical compound which has been used in a human medicine as a skin whitening agent. It is hydroquinone, which is a type of phenol, and has been shown to reduce skin color. It is of course prescribed only by a doctor. It is a very strong agent, while using you needs to use only very small amount.
Hydroquinone, known as quinol, can be applied only on a very small area, not for a whole body as it might be even dangerous. Before you will star to think about permanent lightening of the skin you need to note that in fact this is a medical procedure that should be reserved only for patients from a dermatologist clinic.
Some people have huge problems with their skin pigmentation. Their immune system attacks special cells that produce pigments in the skin causing them to lose all of the pigments in a different spots (patches) in a whole body. Doctors all together agree that skin lightening for a cosmetic reason is not safe. Such procedure decreases amount of melanin in the skin and this is not good. Using hydroquinone as a lightening agent is effective but it can also make high skin sensitivity. There are some evidences that report such procedure can also increase risk of cancer.
Permanent skin lightening needs to be done by a specialist to diminish toxic effect. However you need to be aware that skin can be damaged also in the long run after treatment. Usually treatments contain maximum 2% hydroquinone concentration. If such drug is used in a higher dose (up to 4%) or if it is used for a prolonged time (over three months treatments) it can give even negative results than expected lightening. Some time ago there has been reports of exogenous ochronosis after using too much of hydroquinone.
In such situation skin can be darken permanently or the pigmentation can build up in the fingers, toes and ears area. Furthermore such darken spots are resistant to any types of medications.
So it looks that a homemade methods and an easy to buy drugstore creams that can lighten our skin can be the best choice to achieve brighten face. Besides it, it is worth to remember that there is a plenty of methods to take care for your skin that help to keep it healthy-looking. It is crucial to avoid skin damage after the sunlight contact. So put your hat on, wear sunglasses, don`t forget to use good quality sunscreens and simply enjoy all of the sunny days without worrying.