Retinoid creams in a high concentration can also be used in acne treatment. However such creams can be responsible for dryness and redness, especially at the beginning of using retinoid creams. Later on, skin gets used to the product so these symptoms should pass away.
Be careful while using retinoids as it makes your skin highly sensitive to sunlight, that is why it is recommended to use retinoid creams at night and cloudy days (preferably during autumn and winter). If you are interested to start retinoids treatment you should discuss it with a dermatologist as it is available with a prescription. In standard shops, you can find a weaker version of retinoid, known as retinol, which is commonly available.
Chemical peels are very powerful at skin lightening. With such peel, an acidic component is applied to the skin and left for a few minutes. Most of the time alpha hydroxy acid is used. It works by burning away top layers of skin, leaving skin fresher and much brighter after all. Such skin treatment is rather harsh, so it usually causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation on the skin. It can be also red or even swollen for some time after the cure.
Usually, it is recommended to do a series of chemical peels for successful therapy. During this time you need to remember to avoid sunlight and use sunscreen. Your skin after a chemical peel is extra sensitive.
If for some reason you are not able to do chemical peels or use skin-lightening creams there is a good alternative for you. Microdermabrasion is a safe method for exfoliating skin, removing dull, make your skin look brighter, fresher and younger.
During the treatment, dead skin cells are removed into a closed vacuum with a rotating diamond tip applied to the face. It takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, however, it is good to get 6 to 12 treatments to achieve good enough results. As with chemical peel after microdermabrasion, you can experience some little redness or skin dryness just after the treatment.
Using Skin Whitening Home Remedies
Although the home remedies are not scientifically verified for having a skin-lightening effect, there are many hints that homemade mixtures can be also effective in skin whitening. Besides it, these methods are extremely cheap as most of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen. So why not to try? Here you are just a few of the most popular ingredients known for their natural bleaching results.
The citric acid from lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. Besides it, the high amount of vitamin C in lemons promotes new cell growth. Furthermore, lemons are full of antioxidants that help keep skin in a healthy condition.
When using lemon be careful. You can prepare a lightening mixture from lemons:
- You can simply soak a cotton ball or tissue in a freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply directly on your face. The best is to leave the juice on your face for around an hour. After that wash your face with water. Can be done once a day. Such simply treatment will for sure make your skin lighter.
- You can also prepare a mixture of three teaspoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of turmeric powder, then apply it on your face, leave for half an hour. Need to be washed with water and do not repeat it more often than once per day.
- It can be also mixed together one teaspoon of lemon, powdered milk, and honey. Apply directly on your skin and keep for 15-20 minutes, after that wash it off with water, can be done even every day.
Remember while using remedies with lemon juice it is acidic and can cause pain when applying on open wounds. So it is also not suitable for sensitive or allergic skin.
Yogurt has many nutrients that are proper for your skin. It contains lactic acid that can be used for skin-lightening, as it has some bleaching properties.
- You can use yogurt directly on your skin, just leave it for a few minutes and then wash it off with water. You can repeat it once a day for a few weeks to see a positive effect on your skin condition.
- You can mix one tablespoon of yogurt with one-half tablespoon of honey. Can be applied on your face and neck, after 15 minutes just wash it off with water. You can repeat it once a day.
- You can also use yogurt as a face mask together with lemon juice and some oatmeal. It will also nicely moisturize and supply your skin.
Oranges are full of vitamin C that has been shown to be an important ingredient in skin care. There are two different ways to use oranges for lightening of your skin:
- Prepare a mixture of two tablespoons of orange juice and a bit of powdered turmeric. Put it on your face and neck overnight. It can be also applied to your hands or even legs. Can be used each day.
- Make a powder of a dried orange peel, then mix one tablespoon of the powdered peels together with one tablespoon of yogurt and make a paste. That can be applied on your skin for maximum 20 minutes, later rinse off with water. Should be used once or twice per week.
Gram flour (Besan)
It is one of the best components that can be used by people who want to lighten their skin. It has many different nutrients that can easily improve your skin health and condition.
- Prepare a mixture of some gram flour together with a bit of water to make a thick paste, apply it on your skin (face, hands, and legs). When the paste will be dried, wash it off with warm water.
- Blend gram flour with a small amount of turmeric powder together with olive oil. Apply the mixture on your face, rinse off after around 20 minutes.
Honey is mainly known as a moisturizing agent in skin therapy, it has also antibacterial properties so can help for acne skin. Dry skin is often connected with an uneven skin tone. Honey has been found to help bleach skin as well.
- You can simply apply pure honey to your face for a few minutes alone. It will help remove all dead skin cells; your skin will appear lighter. Repeat it once per day.
- If you want to obtain special skin-lightening mask, mix one teaspoon of honey and lemon juice, add one tablespoon of powdered milk and one-half teaspoon of almond oil. Mix and apply on your skin. After 10-15 minutes it can be washed off with rather cold water. Repeat up to three times per week.
Aloe Vera Gel
Hyperpigmentation is a result of uneven skin color and tone. Aloe vera can reduce hyperpigmentation and help you to restore the original color of your skin. Aloe vera also moisturizes the skin very well, thus helps skin rejuvenation. Such a simple remedy from aloe vera gel can lighten dark spots and improve your whole skin condition.